This Faculty Learning Community is going to be fun! Joanne Farrell and Kerry Noonan will act as faculty facilitators guiding participants through a series of sessions and workshops designed to provide information, activities and improvisational exercises that will allow us to see and change our performances in the classroom. Other faculty with expertise in Drama and Communications will lend their support.
In conjunction with this Faculty learning Community, a series of workshops will be run open to the entire faculty community. The members of the learning community will get the opportunity to go deeper, creating a small community to improve their performances and receive personal coaching. Faculty Learning Cohort members will receive 1:1 coaching, explore the book “Performance Breakthrough”, and will set goals and learn to apply new performance skills within a safe and supportive community. All workshops and meetings will be scheduled Wednesday afternoons at 3:30.
The first 10 faculty members to join will receive a copy of Performance Breakthough: A Radical Approach to Success at Work by Cathy Salit. See below for details and watch for calendar invitations to the workshops. Reply to email@example.com to join the Faculty Learning Community Teaching as Performance.
“All the world’s a stage”, the classroom is a perfect space where, in our roles as teachers, we make performance choices every moment…By making our choices conscious, we open the possibility for growth and change. We can see what’s going on not just from our point of view but from the vantage points of audience and other actors in the space. – Joanne Farrell
- Improved classroom delivery of content
- Confidence to handle unexpected classroom situations
- Improved student engagement
- Increased connection and relationships with colleagues
- SoTL (Scholarship of Teaching and Learning) projects and conference presentations
Format & Date/Time: Community meetings and stand-alone workshops will be Wednesday afternoons 3:30-5:00 PM.
This learning community will…
- Meet regularly on Wednesday afternoons. The exact number of sessions and dates will be determined by the group. Workshop dates are set. (see Google calendar)
- Will attend the sessions and the workshops
- Will set individual and group goals
Any faculty member may attend any workshop. Faculty members will rsvp via Google calendar.
Sessions and Workshops * For longer descriptions see google calendar invitations
- Performing as Listener: We’ll discover ways to listen so conversations in the classroom are more effective because they feel less challenging.
- Performing with Presence: We’ll discover ways to make use of our bodies and physicality so we are more confident on the stage.
- Performing Off-Book: We’ll discover ways to break out of the habitual scripts we either devised or were given and open the door for new options.
- Performing the Story: We’ll discover ways to use stories to teach content.
- Using Your Voice: This workshop will help you use your voice more effectively, both in the classroom and in conference presentations.
- Space: The Final Frontier? In this workshop, we will work on how we use the space of our classrooms, focusing on deliberate vs unconscious movements, how to use movement to focus attention, and to capture and retain interest.
- Wake Up a Sleepy Room: In this workshop, we will explore methods and techniques to wake up this kind of room.
- Lively Lectures and Powerful Presentations: In this workshop, we will work on improving our presentation skills. We will work on enhancing vocal interest, eye contact and physical presence, and will help you focus attention on your message in auditory, visual, and kinesthetic ways.