Please note: Before beginning this tutorial, update your syllabus file and save it in a Word doc or PDF format. The college needs your syllabus page in Canvas to serve as the long term record of the syllabus of your class, this is used by students seeking to transfer credits or apply to graduate schools as well as the college for accreditation purposes. If you link to a syllabus stored elsewhere (like Google Docs) it is highly likely that it will be unavailable years from now, instead, please save your syllabus as a .docx or .pdf file.
Do you want to convert your Word doc to a PDF? We can help! Please read the instructions on converting your syllabus from Word to PDF here.
1. Open your Canvas course, click on the “Syllabus” button in the left-side navigation, and then click on the “Edit” button to start the syllabus uploading process.
2. Highlight the words “Course Syllabus”
3. Click on the “Files” tab on the right-side navigation, and then click on “+ Upload a new file” link.
Note: After clicking on “+ Upload a new file” you get the “Choose File” option button.
Note: Pop-up window after clicking on “Choose File” button.
4. Navigate to your syllabus file, select your syllabus file, and click on “Open”. Then your syllabus file name will appear to the right of the “Choose File” button.
5. After having selected your syllabus file, click on the “Upload” button to upload your syllabus file to Canvas and create the link to your syllabus file.
6. Click the “Update Syllabus” button in the bottom right corner to save all your work.
7. After updating your syllabus successfully you will see that the text “Course Syllabus” is now a link to your syllabus file and that there are two icons to the right of the text. The magnifier icon will render a view of your syllabus without the need to download your syllabus. The arrow icon will download the syllabus.
Note: The CLT wants all faculty members to succeed. If you have any issue uploading your syllabus, please do not wait till you are frustrated, contact us immediately or our 24/7 Canvas Support line (877-399-9103). We look forward to working with you and/or hearing about your success stories. Thank you and have a great semester!