Before integrating online resources from a textbook publisher, instructors should consider the following questions:
- Are you familiar with the online resources for the textbook?
- Do you intend to use the assessments from the publisher at all?
- Will students be required to buy a new textbook, or buy access to the publisher’s online site with a login code? These online sites are very comprehensive and can be great resources, but they may require either the purchase of a new textbook or the purchase of a login code to access the course site.
- Do you intend to use the assessments for a significant percentage of a students grade? Will the assessments be used to grade mastery of the material, and/or as a formative tool to measure student understanding so that assistance can be provided? Do you expect the assessments to be more than 15 percent of the final grade?
- Are these assessments the main method of assessing student learning? Will they be utilized for the midterm and/or final?